MAUREILLAS LAS ILLAS
Nestled in an idyllic rural setting, the shops in Maureillas Las Illas are in walking distance from the campsite:
Butcher’s shop – Delicatessen, Bakery – Pastry Shop, Supermarket, Restaurants, Pharmacy, Hairdresser, Beauty salon, Wine merchant …
A few minutes away, the Prat de La Fargue Leisure Centre offers a range of relaxing range of relaxing and stimulating activities :
Fishing, walking or horseback riding, fitness trail, boules, and a picnic area and barbecue.
There is dancing and music during the summer evenings every weekend in Maureillas town centre.
Maureillas Campsite **
Make the most of a full range of activities and services when you stay at Maureillas Campsite**.
We offer accommodation in air-conditioned fully equipped holiday lodges and pitches for caravans, tents, and motorhomes.
Its perfect location means that you can spend a day in the mountains followed by an evening by the sea. Spain’s open doors are only 9 km away.
At the campsite
- Recent toilets and showers, heated in the low season
- 7/7 launderette
- Free Wi-Fi access around the reception
- Secure bike box with code
- Water points and electric hook-ups
Services in the village, walking distance from the campsite
- Restaurants and café, 300m away
- Bakery 400m
- Village supermarket 600m
- Play area 600m
- Bus costs 1 euro to visit the region
The historical treasures of Maureillas Las Illas
Chapelle Saint Martin de Fenollar
The Chapel of Saint Martin de Fenollar close to the old Via Domitia Roman road, is a small Pre-Romanesque church which is first mentioned as a possession of the Abbey of Arles in a text dating from 844.
It has the most important decorative painting in Roussillon and has been listed as a historical monument since1 August 1967. The limited palette and powerful expression make it a striking work which has had a strong impression on artists, in particular Picasso and Braque when they visited in 1910.
Although small, the Chapel of Saint-Martin-de-Fenollar houses the most important collection of wall paintings conserved in situ in North Catalonia. The exact dating of this former dependency of the Benedictine abbey of Sainte-Marie of Arles-sur-Tech is uncertain.
St Stephen’s Church (Eglise St Etienne)
A church dedicated to St. Stephen is first mentioned in 1147. The present building dates from the 17th century. It is a single nave construction with three bays and a structure supported by diaphragm arches and round arches. The interior paintings are recent, and the choir has been recently restored.
The church has altarpieces of Christ, Saint Francis, the Trinity, a pulpit, a dresser, a cadireta, a Virgin, numerous statues, and a painting of Saint Michael.
The Siureda Dolmen (Dolmen, de la Siureda)
This dolmen, with a square chamber, surrounded by a tumulus, dates from the Bronze Age. The men who built it chose a particularly sunny site with a very beautiful view over the plain of Roussillon. It bears witness to a strong human presence during the Chalcolithic period. The archaeologist and prehistorian Françoise Claustre has contributed to understanding megalithic architecture, notably through studying the Siureda Dolmen.
Cork Museum (Le musée du Liège)
This museum was founded by the former cork makers and inhabitants of Maureillas. It introduces the visitor to the life of the Cork oak, its ecology, how the cork is harvested, and transformed for the numerous uses it is used for. The museum displays the tools and explains the methods used to manufacture wine corks as well as its many other, often unknown uses. The world’s largest cork is also on display!
Some history …
The first known reference is to ‘Maurelianum’, dating from 1011, which was built by the Romans. The 13th century was a turbulent time for the village, because of the wars between the kings of Aragon and Majorca. Conversely, the 19th century was a time of prosperity for Maureillas, thanks to the cork industry which the Cork Museum is dedicated today. Maureillas’ territory has been expanded by the addition of Saint-Martin de Fenollar and then Las Illas and Riunoguès.
Las Illas was a crossing point for the escapees from France and all those fleeing from the oppression of occupied France between 1940 and 1945.
There is a plaque on the ‘Place de la ‘Llibertat’ which stands as a reminder to these ‘Paths of Freedom.’ The Cork Museum is dedicated to the glorious past of the village’s cork makers, as well as the future of this noble material whose astonishing properties are particularly well suited to sustainable development.
A team at your service
For more information or to make a booking contact us by telephone on
04.48.07.06.36 or by email : email@example.com
Follow campsite news on Facebook
There are activities throughout the year in Maureillas and its surrounding area
Avenue Maréchal Joffre – 66480 Maureillas-Las-Illas
Tel : 04 68 83 15 41
Every Thursday from 8 am to 12 noon – Place de la République
Bac de Nialgué
04 68 83 02 89
Physical & Sporting activities
Horse riding centre
Route de Céret
06 76 05 44 80
Aqua gym – Swimming
Certified swimming instructor
1, Impasse des Loriots
06 03 82 17 71
Website : Aquavitale.e-monsite.com